As a Volunteer Coordinator I am being challenged to help our volunteers help us as an agency, to reach our mandated goal of 5%matched hours with paid employees. I see by other V.C. I am not alone. Please give me any helpful suggestions you are using to increase your volunteer hours. I am finding that our declining economy is having an impact on our volunteers, as they lose jobs or have to take on extra work. I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks! Best Wishes to you for the New Year~

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am as deperate as you and so many others at this point. I called the local cable TV stations, and asked to place an ad on their station. I wrote as many words as I was allowed, they said it would be on as requested.
    I also went to the local village halls and asked for it to be placed on their E-News letter. Try these ideas. Anything is worth trying! I also go to local colleges- placed an ad in the student handbook- will be in any Senior Fair or Community Fair I can get in.
  • I have the same problem: getting enough volunteers to make the 5%. My colleagues are in the same boat. I would appreciate any suggestions for campaigns I can conduct. Thanks.
  • Has anyone used Pat Carvers The Hospice Volunteer Training Series materials from the website www.hospicetutor.com?
    • LOVE LOVE LOVE Pat Carver! awesome materials
  • Hi Greg:
    I do not know what the PDV software is, can you please explain? I must have missed that segment of the discussion. Thanks
    • Hi Linda:

The Patient Data Vault (PDV) is a member-exclusive service offered to HVA Member hospices. For the cost of what you would spend on postage for sending out forms to volunteers and paying the return-mail postage for their completed form, only $1.95/month per volunteer -- you get a giant leap in productivity in volunteer management and electronic reporting that is HIPAA compliant. The PDV is a volunteer information management system that provides an electronic record system for your hospice's volunteer activities. It continues to grow in functionality and our volunteer managers and volunteer subscribers love it.

A brief description is below and you can click on the link in the previous paragraph to see more on our website.

The Patient Data Vault (PDV) is a secure place to electronically store and retrieve patient data over the Internet using security measures that comply with the requirements of the HIPAA Security Rule. Data that is stored in the PDV is encrypted and can only be accessed by the hospice that reposited the data. The greatest benefit of the PDV is that it permits volunteer coordinators and volunteers to efficiently communicate patient data between themselves and other hospice staff.

The PDV was principally developed to resolve the long-standing security problem associated with sharing sensitive patient data electronically over the Internet while meeting the stringent HIPAA Security Rule. Resolving this problem with the PDV service has led to many side benefits relating to operating a more efficient volunteer program. HVA's PDV service permits the volunteer coordinator (VC) to move from a burdensome paper-based volunteer reporting system to an electronic one while enhancing communications at the same time.

Greg Schneider
      HCF Creator
      President, HVA
  • Hey there, Greg~ That's really exciting news.....my volunteers will be stoked. I will pass this info along.
    Can't wait to see the changes!
  • Glad to report that our program's volunteer hours in 2009 amounted to around 6%!!! I attribute the increase over the previous year, in part, due to the Patient Data Vault. Most of my volunteers are very happy with this method of reporting their volunteer notes and activities, and it certainly makes my life as volunteer coordinator much easier.

Thanks to Greg and his wonderful staff, for providing such an excellent service to the hospice field~
    Three Cheers to HVA!!!
    • Thanks Judy -- we will be releasing a new version of the PDV software this week that will greatly improve its ease of use. Other volunteer coordinators that have previewed the upcoming changes are very excited and anticipating the new release.
  • You are not old fashioned. Every volunteer manager needs to get to know their volunteers. I would only use this as part of my orientation, and only after I have interviewed them and discussed the volunteer opportunity they are interested in. Remember there are all types of learners and I have found that teens and young adults learn better general information on line where older adults learn better in person.

Hope this helps. I will be reviewing the course myself before I consider using it.

Jennifer Thompson
This reply was deleted.

CAREGIVERS STORE

Recently Published!!
by Maryclaire Torinus

Surviving Hospice: A Chaplain's Journey into the Big Business of Dying Plus: How To Find a Trustworthy Hospice 

This narrative is an insider’s look into the hijacking of hospice by private equity and professional investors and the subsequent harm to patients, their families, and to the interdisciplinary clinical teams. It was released by a NYC publisher on October 31, 2023. For sale on Amazon.

The author, a hospice chaplain, tells end-of-life stories of her patients who were harmed by financially-motivated policies. This is a book for anyone who is embarking on making a choice about a hospice for their loved one, working chaplains, those in training, and those interested in what dying is like with a hospice who places patients as their primary stakeholders.

Maryclaire's experience working for an owner who sold to a private equity firm helped her to realize that the reputation and viability of hospice is in jeopardy. Her goal is to alert all who love hospice to rid it of professional investors.

— Stacy Juba, author, editor, and award-winning health journalist

"Powerful, beautifully written, and eye-opening, this book spotlights the inner workings of a multi-billion-dollar industry and the effect on patients, families, and hospice staff. The author shares poignant accounts of hospice at its best and worst and the hard-hitting truths she learned on her journey. A must-read for family members exploring hospice care."

— Laura Kukowski, CEO, editor, For-Profit Badger Hospice, LLC

"Maryclaire Torinus speaks with authority, providing this essential handbook for choosing a hospice care team and why that selection really matters."

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

"When I first found out that Maryclaire Torinus was writing this book, I immediately contacted her because in my 25+ years supporting hospice volunteers, I have seen a gradual decline in the quality of care volunteers are permitted to provide the dying and their families. There are a variety of reasons for this that I describe in the Foreward of this book. Maryclaire provides invaluable insights that everyone should know, along with solutions to help others make the right choice in choosing a hospice."

Buy Now