documenting visits in patients records

We are required to document volunteers assigned to each patient in our case conference notes in the medical record.

When we have several volunteers working 3/4 weekly shifts at a hospice unit where there are 5 patients at a time.... Do we need to document in each patients record every volunteer that was on duty at the time of thier stay?

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Greg,
    This is excellent advise- " Incidental interaction" is a perfect way to describe it and exactly the issue that concerned me. All volunteers who go to the unit have completed all necessary training to perform both tasks.
    Thanks again, I think this clears things up for us and re-affirms we will be doing the right thing!
  • It sounds like your volunteer's activities fall into two categories: Direct Patient Care and Non-Patient Care. You should document them separately. Volunteers that go to the hospice unit to provide whatever support is needed fall into the latter category and their activities should be documented as such. A volunteer's incidental interaction with patients while doing such work would still fall into the latter category. Volunteers that are specifically assigned to visit with certain patients, should be documented as Direct Patient Care.

This subtle point also has many implications as far as volunteer training and volunteer support is concerned so it is a good idea to make a clear distinction among your volunteers as to which category they fall into.

If volunteers are intended to serve both functions then they should be classified in the predominant category. The reporting requirements for supporting the hospice team are different for each category. Those volunteers serving in the Direct Patient Care role typically create intimate relationships with the patient and their family. Therefore they are privy to communications with the patient and family and can develop insights that are very useful to the rest of the team. This is the primary reason the two categories should be considered as being distinct as they serve different roles in the hospice organization.

Greg Schneider
    HCF Creator
    President, HVA
  • I agree with Greg, you need to have the volunteer document on each patient they are assigned. Sounds like a great way to use volunteers, can you give us some more information on what the volunteers are exactly doing, (one-on-one visits, administrative, etc)

Jennifer Thompson, CVA
    Rivercross Hospice - Tulsa, OK
    • Thanks for your feedback. The volunteers sit with patients who are alone and talk, or stock the family area, they bring water and coffee to pts and family members, they also do some clerical work if needed, for example filing or answering phones. They may or may not have direct contact with every patient, and there is not usually a request or assignment in place for them, so that is why there is some confusion on how to document. I am not sure it is necessary for there to be a note in every single pts record? I want to do what is necessary, but not any uneccesary work.
  • I would say that you should be documenting each patient's record with the volunteer that was specifically visiting them. I would assume that the patient's plan of care stipulates that they will receive a visit from a volunteer for a certain number of hours each week. The recordkeeping goal should be to reflect that the patient is receiving care according to plan. If a volunteer visits multiple patients simultaneously the records should reflect a proportionate amount of time for each patient present.
This reply was deleted.

CAREGIVERS STORE

Recently Published!!
by Maryclaire Torinus

Surviving Hospice: A Chaplain's Journey into the Big Business of Dying Plus: How To Find a Trustworthy Hospice 

This narrative is an insider’s look into the hijacking of hospice by private equity and professional investors and the subsequent harm to patients, their families, and to the interdisciplinary clinical teams. It was released by a NYC publisher on October 31, 2023. For sale on Amazon.

The author, a hospice chaplain, tells end-of-life stories of her patients who were harmed by financially-motivated policies. This is a book for anyone who is embarking on making a choice about a hospice for their loved one, working chaplains, those in training, and those interested in what dying is like with a hospice who places patients as their primary stakeholders.

Maryclaire's experience working for an owner who sold to a private equity firm helped her to realize that the reputation and viability of hospice is in jeopardy. Her goal is to alert all who love hospice to rid it of professional investors.

— Stacy Juba, author, editor, and award-winning health journalist

"Powerful, beautifully written, and eye-opening, this book spotlights the inner workings of a multi-billion-dollar industry and the effect on patients, families, and hospice staff. The author shares poignant accounts of hospice at its best and worst and the hard-hitting truths she learned on her journey. A must-read for family members exploring hospice care."

— Laura Kukowski, CEO, editor, For-Profit Badger Hospice, LLC

"Maryclaire Torinus speaks with authority, providing this essential handbook for choosing a hospice care team and why that selection really matters."

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

"When I first found out that Maryclaire Torinus was writing this book, I immediately contacted her because in my 25+ years supporting hospice volunteers, I have seen a gradual decline in the quality of care volunteers are permitted to provide the dying and their families. There are a variety of reasons for this that I describe in the Foreward of this book. Maryclaire provides invaluable insights that everyone should know, along with solutions to help others make the right choice in choosing a hospice."

Buy Now