This discussion was moved to the Volunteer Management Group -- HCF Members: please use our Groups feature to categorize your questions and discussions as it makes it easier for others to find the topics.  Even better is to post a note in the Forum that directs people to your specific discussion in the applicable Group would also be useful. Thanks. Greg Schneider

This is a great question!! Thanks Janet.

My agency is questioning what activities should constitute a volunteer hour of service for the 5% calculation.  We are aware of the obvious things - direct patient care in the home, clerical hours in the office are both YES, and "crafts" are NO --

BUT --

What about assistance to the foundation in fundraising events, contacting donors by mail or phone, data entry of foundation activities?

What about all of the Bereavement services?

What about service to community members (like community people served by Grief Support, but were not actually a "hospice family"?

What things should be counted that I'm not necessarily thinking of?

And, probably most importantly -  Where can I look to prove that a particular kind of service is or is not acceptable?

Thanks!!

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Greg, thanks for making this clearer. There seems to be some confusion among hospice organizations about which services are applicable to the 5% requirement.
  • The volunteer manager tool kit through NHPCO has a cople of pages of what counts and doesn't count. If your hospice is a member you might look into this. I got a copy during our quaterly meetings for volunteer administrators but don't have the ability to get it to everyone. Under Administrative it shows filing, auditing, copying, data entry of records, developing & packaging patient inforamtion packets, but not travel. Not included sewing, flower arranging, craft projects, singing at hospice inpatient unites, fundraising, participation in organization's governing boards, thrift shopes, volunteer training hours.

Bereavement - Direct suppot hours include in-home/in-person family time, telephone contact, composing bereavement notes.

Hope this helps

Jennifer Thompson, CVA
    Rivercross Hospice - Tulsa OK
  • Generally speaking, hours that are applicable to the 5% requirement must be related either Directly or Indirectly to patient/family care.  The CoPs (Conditions of Participation) is the primary legal document establishing requirements for the 5% mandate.  The nitty-gritty details are discussed in the Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 109 / Thursday, June 5, 2008 / Rules and Regulations (PDF file attached to this discussion). The latest version of the CoPs (Conditions of Participation) is dated June 5, 2008.

The CoP document is intentionally not very explicit as to what activities apply because Congress did not wish to constrain hospice activities -- this makes your search for "proof" as to whether a service applies a bit tricky.  Furthermore, it is our experience at HVA that hospice organizations do not always interpret the CoPs in the same manner, especially with regard to what is considered Direct or Indirect.

With regard to your specific questions and whether they apply:

• Assistance to the foundation in fundraising events, contacting donors by mail or phone, data entry of foundation activities -- NO
    • Bereavement Services including Grief Support to community members that were not a "hospice family" -- YES

If you have other specific items, please post them here and other HCF members will help you out.

I would also suggest asking regulators that come to your hospice for inspections for other resources that may be useful to you.

A related discussion can be found in Suggestions for Increasing Volunteer Hours to make mandated 5%.  I suggest doing a search in the HCF on 5% and see what other discussions exist.

Greg Schneider
    President, HVA
    HCF Creator 

•  The way I understand this discussion Greg, your first respose implies that the time with fundraising, community outreach, and office work are eligible, towards the 5%. The second response you are saying NO to these activities. I guess I like so many others are desperately seaking ways to make that 5%. My thoughts would be if my hospice agency was "paying" a staff member for this work and it can be completed by a volunteer, it would count. Am I misinterpreting? Thank you for the clarification!
    • Melissa,

As Jennifer indicated, fundraising and community outreach are not included, this is because these activities are neither directly or indirectly related to patient care.  Those are typically considered to be marketing activities that help grow the business of the hospice.  Filing the paper work of a patient is an example of an indirect activity since it is not an activity directly involving the patient but is related to the care of a specific patient.

Your comment "If my hospice agency was paying a staff member for this work and it can be completed by a volunteer, it would count." is true but with the clarification as described in the previous paragraph. In other words the paid staff activity must by directly or indirectly related to caring for a patient.

Greg

• Thank you! I think I have a much better understanding of whats going to count now. Have a great day!
  • This response was posted by Frances Shani Parker in this discussion in the Forum on 6/4/2011:

Community outreach, fundraising, and office work are all eligible. It’s important that people know these other options because patient care is not for everyone. Other hospices can give you more specific needs volunteers can meet.

You might be interested in my blog post titled “Hospice Volunteers With No Patients" that includes a brief video of a hospice volunteer describing how she educates the community about hospice services through public speaking at various events:

http://hospiceandnursinghomes.blogspot.com/2010/10/hospice-voluntee...

This reply was deleted.

CAREGIVERS STORE

Recently Published!!
by Maryclaire Torinus

Surviving Hospice: A Chaplain's Journey into the Big Business of Dying Plus: How To Find a Trustworthy Hospice 

This narrative is an insider’s look into the hijacking of hospice by private equity and professional investors and the subsequent harm to patients, their families, and to the interdisciplinary clinical teams. It was released by a NYC publisher on October 31, 2023. For sale on Amazon.

The author, a hospice chaplain, tells end-of-life stories of her patients who were harmed by financially-motivated policies. This is a book for anyone who is embarking on making a choice about a hospice for their loved one, working chaplains, those in training, and those interested in what dying is like with a hospice who places patients as their primary stakeholders.

Maryclaire's experience working for an owner who sold to a private equity firm helped her to realize that the reputation and viability of hospice is in jeopardy. Her goal is to alert all who love hospice to rid it of professional investors.

— Stacy Juba, author, editor, and award-winning health journalist

"Powerful, beautifully written, and eye-opening, this book spotlights the inner workings of a multi-billion-dollar industry and the effect on patients, families, and hospice staff. The author shares poignant accounts of hospice at its best and worst and the hard-hitting truths she learned on her journey. A must-read for family members exploring hospice care."

— Laura Kukowski, CEO, editor, For-Profit Badger Hospice, LLC

"Maryclaire Torinus speaks with authority, providing this essential handbook for choosing a hospice care team and why that selection really matters."

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

"When I first found out that Maryclaire Torinus was writing this book, I immediately contacted her because in my 25+ years supporting hospice volunteers, I have seen a gradual decline in the quality of care volunteers are permitted to provide the dying and their families. There are a variety of reasons for this that I describe in the Foreward of this book. Maryclaire provides invaluable insights that everyone should know, along with solutions to help others make the right choice in choosing a hospice."

Buy Now