Replies

• I misread that part. Also, who will be paying for the gas cards?
    • Well that's the game isn't it. :)

The Hospice I am a part of is a for-profit organization though, so I do have a little budget tucked away somewhere.  My thought though is that if giving away $100 bucks in gas cards gets me ten volunteers it is well worth it.  The department I inherited only has 3 volunteers currently.

• Well, i see your point, I was thinking of it more as a way to get volunteers to recruit their friends ans colleagues.  The gas card would not go to volunteers who sign up...
  • I guess i'm just old school. I prefer people volunteering because they've been called at a personal level to give service to others while sharing win-win experiences with patients. The gas cards remind me of an idea floating around about paying parents to attend their children's parent-teacher conferences or another idea (in Japan or China) about paying adult children to visit their elderly parents so they won't feel isolated and neglected. When my patients asked me if I received any compensation at all for visiting them, I felt good about saying I just came for them. That's just me.
  • I'm thinking of starting a Volunteer Recruitment Program where a volunteer will be rewarded with a gift (i.e. $20 gas Card) for recruiting a new volunteer.  This is the basics of my brainstorm thus far --

1. Offer program to current volunteers, citing the incentive of Gas Card.

2. Volunteer advises prospective volunteer how to contact VC.

3. Prospective volunteer contacts and interview is scheduled.

4. Prospective is interviewed/trained and appointment is set for initial visit with PT and VC.

5. Care Plan is created between VC/Vol/PT.

6. Volunteer keeps first appointment with PT.

7. Original volunteer is awarded gift for successful recruitment.

Any thoughts, any concerns?  Would love feedback before I present the idea to my administrator.

• Here's the scenario. We see people all the time who want to start training and we get their contact information and say we will be in touch. My vision is for those who have the heart and motivation to volunteer to be given the opportunity to begin training immediately. The hospice where I am employed as a hospice care consultant paid for a set of DVD's and a few manuals and spent approx. $500. The DVD's are copyrighted and can't be copied. We let folks borrow them until the next available training.

With the "Hospice Volunteer Training Online" those who desire to serve can start right away with the core information. Immediately following the course, they receive a transcript and the agency where they will volunteer will also receive a transcript of the courses and exams/grades. The course covers everything the new Medicare Conditions of Participation require including hospice history and philosophy, eligibility, interdisciplinary groups, advanced directives, grief and bereavement, caregiving, death and dying, and a brief look at alternative therapies such as music, pet, and massage therapy. I have had several people wanting the course free, but I value the time and research I have put into the program and feel that $10 is an affordable amount that will not place a burden on the volunteer or the hospice that chooses to cover the costs.

Wow! For someone who was not going to blatantly advertise....Oh well. I love this course and the vision I have for offering an opportunity for those wishing to be of service.

Thanks for asking.
  • I have been in the health care field for over 32 years and the last 6 have been in hospice. We often have people comment in the community they are interested in volunteering. We get their names and contact information and always inform them of the next training dates. After awhile you realize that those people are interested "now" and usually not available when the training dates begin. I don't know any way to say this without it sounding like an advertisement, but I am proud of the program. I have an online hospice volunteer training program. We have people signing up daily. When they finish the course, they are prepared for admin duties. Having them on board makes it easy to have them around when patient care training begins. So that this isn't a blatant advertisement, I won't post the site here but feel free to email me if you want more info.

One other idea; our hospice uses this online program for general education to our local nursing homes and personal care homes (the hospice pays the course fee).
    • HVTO, I encourage you to post the link of your online hospice volunteer training program. Many people may not know about this, and the purpose of this site is to educate and support our fellow hospice workers. It's a great opportunity to help others. I for one would like to know more about it.

If you still don't want to write the link for other HCF members to see, please click my picture and send it to me in the message area of my profile page. Thanks. Frances
  • Don't forget the college students. Some may want this experience for their resumes, especially if they are considering a medical field. Also, they are old enough to do direct patient care. Nowadays, many have the spirit of giving to improve the community.

Another source is senior centers. You could have them announce it in their newsletter or leave/post flyers there. Many apartment buildings also have announcement boards. Good luck!
This reply was deleted.

CAREGIVERS STORE

Recently Published!!
by Maryclaire Torinus

Surviving Hospice: A Chaplain's Journey into the Big Business of Dying Plus: How To Find a Trustworthy Hospice 

This narrative is an insider’s look into the hijacking of hospice by private equity and professional investors and the subsequent harm to patients, their families, and to the interdisciplinary clinical teams. It was released by a NYC publisher on October 31, 2023. For sale on Amazon.

The author, a hospice chaplain, tells end-of-life stories of her patients who were harmed by financially-motivated policies. This is a book for anyone who is embarking on making a choice about a hospice for their loved one, working chaplains, those in training, and those interested in what dying is like with a hospice who places patients as their primary stakeholders.

Maryclaire's experience working for an owner who sold to a private equity firm helped her to realize that the reputation and viability of hospice is in jeopardy. Her goal is to alert all who love hospice to rid it of professional investors.

— Stacy Juba, author, editor, and award-winning health journalist

"Powerful, beautifully written, and eye-opening, this book spotlights the inner workings of a multi-billion-dollar industry and the effect on patients, families, and hospice staff. The author shares poignant accounts of hospice at its best and worst and the hard-hitting truths she learned on her journey. A must-read for family members exploring hospice care."

— Laura Kukowski, CEO, editor, For-Profit Badger Hospice, LLC

"Maryclaire Torinus speaks with authority, providing this essential handbook for choosing a hospice care team and why that selection really matters."

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

"When I first found out that Maryclaire Torinus was writing this book, I immediately contacted her because in my 25+ years supporting hospice volunteers, I have seen a gradual decline in the quality of care volunteers are permitted to provide the dying and their families. There are a variety of reasons for this that I describe in the Foreward of this book. Maryclaire provides invaluable insights that everyone should know, along with solutions to help others make the right choice in choosing a hospice."

Buy Now