New Volunteer Coordinator

Hello all,

I am brand new to hopsice and this position. I have been doing a good amount of research and I am so exited to get the volunteer program up and running with my company. One of the barriers I am running into is my company is for-profit. I can not find an organization for volunteers that will allow for-profit organizations post for volunteer recruitment. Any ideas? I did read back through this forum and read that there would be a volunteer referral link but I can not find the link. Is is up and running? Any suggestions offered would be appreciated and I look forward to hear your responses. Thank you in advance for any help!

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No problem! And feel free to copy any and all. If there's no 'reference' listed on any piece, it's something I wrote. I'm working on the January 2011 volunteer newsletter today and hope to send it out tomorrow. I'll make sure you're on my list! Thanks!!
  • Definitely understand! Steal those cars!!

And if you're just having a bad day...The first thing I tell the folks who come for training is "100% of our patients die. If that will trouble you, maybe you should reconsider becoming a hospice volunteer." My story: my husband died of an inoperable brain tumor almost 3 years ago. We called hospice when the docs said 'nothing we can do - you've got two months.' Our experience with the hospice team was so amazing - so radically different from watching our parents die in hospitals! We have a huge family - six married children, 15 grandkids - and most of them were at the house for those last two months. The social workers would come out whenever we called with questions, so we were able to have many family meetings to better understand what was happening, what to expect. The nurses made even ME comfortable - seeing that they were able to keep Jim from experiencing pain. Losing him was horrible, but it was less horrible because of his level of comfort and being surrounded by people who cared. That was the reason I took this job, leaving behind my own marketing services company that I'd operated for 15 years.   So, hang in there on difficult days, Diane. "This, too, shall pass." Oh, by the way, there are NO photos of me in any of the newsletters...in case you were wondering about that waving gray-haired woman!!!

• Thanks, Janet...and though having a "bad day" is all relative in this field, it was more of a funk...and I get revitalized from peer support, which is hard sometimes when I'm the only one in my organization focusing 100% on the volunteer program.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I was introduced to hospice indirectly, I guess...I lost a brother in a car accident and benefitted greatly from hospice support groups in my area, later volunteering as a bereavement counselor (my background/degree.)  I think hospice is the best kept secret out there...all the more reason why I loved reading your community focused newsletter!  I see great possibilities here, and as I said, this was a good day for me to see that!  My personal anecdote on perspective came from working for the American Cancer Society for 6 years; my office was across from our patient services room.  I might have been having a "bad hair day", until I would (always when I needed it) meet a woman with no hair, ravaged by chemo...and I was reminded that it was just hair!  Thanks, & Take care...
      • Hearing stories of "how I came to be here" are a favorite thing of mine; thanks for sharing. This forum is becoming (for me) exactly what I'd hoped...an opportunity to ask questions and share info with people facing the same daily challenges that I have!

So...here's a question or two: how many hours of training do you require before letting volunteers see patients? Are you happy with the program you have? I'm asking because I think 30+ hours of training is a LOT to ask from people who are interested in doing good things for FREE. I've lost several candidates because the training is so long and involved.

• Absolutely! I'll upload some examples.

As to Chambers...most of them list their members and their contact info on chamber websites. "Open to the public!!" So that's where my volunteer gets her information. For the rest, we use www.switchboard.com where you can search for a specific category within a certain zip code. Very efficient. And I agree about 'stealing a car!' I've stolen quite a few myself!!

December 2010 issue VSC newsletter.pdf

Caring Communications Fall-Winter 2010.pdf

Caring connections newsletter November 2010.pdf

• thank you so much for this sample newsletter. I am just catching up and what a wonderful fine.

Jennifer Thompson, CVA

Rivercross Hospice - Tulsa

• Janet,

I would love to receive your monthly newsletters. I would be happy if you added me to your email database. mwoods@ghospice.com

thanks again

• Wow, I thank you so much Janet for sharing. Any and all direction is appreciated. I wish you much success in the new year!
    • Thank you!!  I was excited to read your newsletters, and they were just what I needed today...perhaps you know what I mean!  (There are no coincidences!)  Appreciate your help!
  • Janet-would you be willing to share your newsletters?  I have started the database listings (well, a volunteer has...) and would like to get an idea of what you send out.  I also was wondering about the chamber lists...we only cover 2 counties but I don't believe we belong to the chambers...is that something you had the volunteer create or something you got from the chambers? I love the vets and music stores...never thought of that!  Thanks for your ideas!  (I once heard at a volunteer management conference, "Why re-invent the wheel when you can steal the whole car?"  8)
This reply was deleted.

CATEGORIES

CAREGIVERS STORE

by Rashani Rea & Kathy Douglas

Those who companion suffering daily, such as hospice nurses and volunteers, will surely appreciate this beautiful work. With 62 original art collages by Rashani Réa, five beautiful chapters by Kathy Douglas, and a foreword by Jean Watson, this exquisite book is a peaceful refuge for contemplation, inquiry, reflection and inspiration for those who traverse the joys and sorrows of nursing.

Kathy Douglas, RN, MPH-HA is a nationally recognized nurse leader, filmmaker and entrepreneur. 

Rashani Réa is a prolific artist and musician, a creatrice of sanctuaries and a respected spiritual mentor.

“This is a beloved book and beyond a book. It is an evocative, poetic, ecstatic, and inspirited sacred, experiential calling. A calling to you--YES, YOU.” 

— Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Living Legend (AAN)

“Those who companion suffering daily need to turn inward to metabolize what they have witnessed. This exquisite book, filled with beautiful images and poetic wise words, is the inspiration and support needed to grow a wise heart.” 

— Frank Ostaseski, founder and director of the Metta Institute and author of The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully

“In this unique time of the COVID-19 pandemic, this book should be considered a tribute to the tremendous courage being displayed by nurses around the world. There is much wisdom conveyed throughout by those who have been there serving others with such grace.” 

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

Buy Now