Conferences for Volunteer Coordinators/Managers?

I have been a hospice volunteer cooridnator in MI for three years and have annually attended local, in-state conferences and education seminars. I am now more interested in attending a larger in scope, more diverse, "outside my region" conference on volunteer management (hospice or non-hospice) or hospice volunteering. If you have attended a national conference that was beneficial in either of these disciplines please share - thank you!

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lindy-

I just thought of another resource for you:

Susan Ellis's Energize page has several conferences and classes listed; here is the link:

http://energizeinc.com/prof/conf.html

• Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Lindy

• Lindy:

the points of light foundation/hands on network puts on an annual conference held across the country in various locations...typically in june.  there is also a networking group called alive...i think the acronym is association for leaders involved in volunteer engagement; it is a newer group that formed after the former association for volunteer administration folded in 2006.  I don't know if they do a conference but last I checked annual membership was only $40 and they offer webinars and such. 

Melissa:

as far as local networking groups, when I moved to the Orlando area from another state, I typed a lot of search terms into the computer and finally stumble upon my local CVM...Council of Volunteer Management, which has been a great group for me to get involved in...and I found them through persistence and their Facebook page!  Good Luck!

• Thanks so much Diane for suggesting the points of light foundation - I did reserach this and it looks like a very well worth conference indeed. I will check out alive - never heard of it Thank you!
  • How did you go about finding the "local" events you attend?

• Hi Melissa,

In Michigan we have MHPCO - a state wide agency (Michigan Hopsice & Palliative Care Organization) that typically hosts a Volunteer Symposium which hospice volunteer coordinators and their volunteers from all over MI attend. I also belong to a state hospice volunteer coordinator association called MHVCA (Michigan Hospice Volunteer Cooridnator Association) - who meets annually as well. So at the state level I have networking/educational opportunities. You can also check out your local city Volunteer Center for offerings as well. The Kalamazoo Association for Volunteer Administrators also holds events/seminars. Hope that helps, Lindy

This reply was deleted.

CATEGORIES

CAREGIVERS STORE

by Rashani Rea & Kathy Douglas

Those who companion suffering daily, such as hospice nurses and volunteers, will surely appreciate this beautiful work. With 62 original art collages by Rashani Réa, five beautiful chapters by Kathy Douglas, and a foreword by Jean Watson, this exquisite book is a peaceful refuge for contemplation, inquiry, reflection and inspiration for those who traverse the joys and sorrows of nursing.

Kathy Douglas, RN, MPH-HA is a nationally recognized nurse leader, filmmaker and entrepreneur. 

Rashani Réa is a prolific artist and musician, a creatrice of sanctuaries and a respected spiritual mentor.

“This is a beloved book and beyond a book. It is an evocative, poetic, ecstatic, and inspirited sacred, experiential calling. A calling to you--YES, YOU.” 

— Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Living Legend (AAN)

“Those who companion suffering daily need to turn inward to metabolize what they have witnessed. This exquisite book, filled with beautiful images and poetic wise words, is the inspiration and support needed to grow a wise heart.” 

— Frank Ostaseski, founder and director of the Metta Institute and author of The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully

“In this unique time of the COVID-19 pandemic, this book should be considered a tribute to the tremendous courage being displayed by nurses around the world. There is much wisdom conveyed throughout by those who have been there serving others with such grace.” 

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

Buy Now