I have received multiple comments from new volunteer training evaluations about making volunteer training more hands-on or interactive. However, I don't have specifics about what new volunteers are looking for, other than probably more than just having the information "presented" to them. Any ideas? Please share - I am eager for IDEAS on how to do this!

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This NPR website audio posting called "Teaching the Young to Empathize with the Old” gives lots of ideas for teaching youngsters to be more empathetic toward the elderly. Simulations of what the elderly experience are used. Actually, the simulations can be used for adults, too. This audio should be helpful in providing adult workshop content that can be used to stimulate discussion after participants experience the simulations.
  • Our hospice only serves our own continuing care retirement communities. As a part of our initial volunteer training, I take them for a "safety walk-through" to show them things like fire doors/fire safe areas, fire alarm systems, strobe lights, evacuation maps, etc... I also explain the purpose of these things, and how it impacts their role as a hospice volunteer in a long-term care environment.

I have used digital videos as a part of our training. I interview other volunteers in our program commenting on the hospice volunteer experience and show it as a part of our training. For future trainings, I plan on having one of my existing volunteers attend the training and talk about what they do from their perspective, allowing the trainees to ask questions.

When I give new assignments to ALL of my volunteers, I meet with them before they meet their participant. We talk about their case, and I bring them information from Mayo Clinic's website about the person's primary diagnosis. If they need any other training specific to their participant (wheelchair mechanics, other DME in room) I demonstrate this at that time. The volunteers appreciate not just being thrown into an assignment without some guidance and 'formal introduction' to their participants.
  • Thank you to everyone for responding! I love that there is such a variety of ideas! Don't be afraid to share more.....
  • There is a game called The Go Wish Game from Coda(www.codaalliance.org) that we've used with volunteers and staff members. It can be used with multiple people or with one. Each deck has 36 cards. 35 cards describe things that people often say are important when they are very sick or dying. The cards describe how people want to be treated, who they want near them, and what matters to them. One card is a "wild card." You can use this card to stand for something you want that isn't on any of the other cards. It is similar to the loss exercise used in most hospice volunteer training, but a little different and it does get dialogue and thoughts going. Sometimes in our meetings we make up scenarios or discuss real situations and put questions out to the volunteers about what they would do.
  • One form of training that I highly recommend for healthcare workers is semi-sensory deprivation. Imagine life as a blur with moving shadows of people wearing fading faces. Large numbers of nursing home residents and other elders see the world this way. Lack of eye care for nursing home residents is widespread in America and greatly impacts these residents’ quality of life.

Volunteer participants could wear glasses or goggles that have lenses smeared, so their vision is blurry. Simulations impairing speech, smell, taste, hearing, walking, talking, eating, touching, etc. help others really experience what patients are going through on a daily basis, and they provide great discussion.

Frances Shani Parker, Author
    "Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes”
    "Hospice and Nursing Homes Blog"
  • I agree with Frances. Role-playing is a good method for interactivity. Role-plays that create realism rather than just illustrating concepts or situations are more effective. There are also exercises for exploratory inquiry by the volunteers into a variety of topics associated with death and caregiving. They can pair off or break up into small groups and do exercises then come back into a larger group and discuss.
  • i also struggle with continuing education topics. we've played the hospice jeopardy, i've brought in a massage therapist, and an aroma therapist. but , it's difficult to come up with fresh, informative topics.
  • I would ask volunteers what specifics they want, starting with those who made the comments. Volunteers will "own" the training more if they see ideas of volunteers being implemented. For example, they might want to role-play different scenarios they could encounter as volunteers. This would be followed by discussion. If they are new, this would be a good time to bring up situations and rules they may not know. Having volunteers work as teams sometimes can create more cohesiveness in the group. If they don't have enough experience to come up with role-playing examples, ask some experienced volunteers for ideas. Use these ideas to create a list of situations the new volunteers can simulate.

Frances Shani Parker, Author
    "Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes”
    "Hospice and Nursing Homes Blog"
This reply was deleted.

CATEGORIES

CAREGIVERS STORE

by Rashani Rea & Kathy Douglas

Those who companion suffering daily, such as hospice nurses and volunteers, will surely appreciate this beautiful work. With 62 original art collages by Rashani Réa, five beautiful chapters by Kathy Douglas, and a foreword by Jean Watson, this exquisite book is a peaceful refuge for contemplation, inquiry, reflection and inspiration for those who traverse the joys and sorrows of nursing.

Kathy Douglas, RN, MPH-HA is a nationally recognized nurse leader, filmmaker and entrepreneur. 

Rashani Réa is a prolific artist and musician, a creatrice of sanctuaries and a respected spiritual mentor.

“This is a beloved book and beyond a book. It is an evocative, poetic, ecstatic, and inspirited sacred, experiential calling. A calling to you--YES, YOU.” 

— Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Living Legend (AAN)

“Those who companion suffering daily need to turn inward to metabolize what they have witnessed. This exquisite book, filled with beautiful images and poetic wise words, is the inspiration and support needed to grow a wise heart.” 

— Frank Ostaseski, founder and director of the Metta Institute and author of The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully

“In this unique time of the COVID-19 pandemic, this book should be considered a tribute to the tremendous courage being displayed by nurses around the world. There is much wisdom conveyed throughout by those who have been there serving others with such grace.” 

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

Buy Now