Did you know that there are hospice volunteers for pets? The same inspiration that compels caregivers to protect and cherish humans stirs pet owners to want peaceful death journeys for their pets. Hospice care for pets has become a reality at the Colorado State University Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine. Visiting the homes of pet owners, hospice volunteers, who are veterinarian students, help terminally ill animals that are expected to live three months or fewer. Like hospice volunteers for humans, they also offer emotional support for pet owners. I think this application of the hospice philosophy will develop in more places and positively impact human hospice care by strengthening understanding of what hospice care means. As more hospice conversations take place, the word “hospice” will become more embedded in everyday language and more appealing to the general public. You can read more about hospice care for pets here. What do you think about this form of end-of-life care for pets? Frances Shani Parker, Author "Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes” "Hospice and Nursing Homes Blog"

You need to be a member of Hospice Community Forum to add comments!

Join Hospice Community Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well it is nice . I SEE NO REASON WHY THIS SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED.
  • Glad I could help. Jeanne, I thought you might like this post and video from my blog “Hospice and Nursing Homes Blog.” This is one of my favorite videos because it captures the joy of a dog-centered trip that addresses quality of life for elderly, ill dogs. Blessings to you and your dog.

Frances
  • Colorado State was very helpful. Interesting that the AVA (American Veterinary Association) there are no standards for end of life care for animals. There is a pet hospice in Vallejo- Nikki's Hospice that have been working on that issue. It's slow going here, the problems of having an animal hospice are very similar to patients getting into hospice. Md's that don't want to "give up", families that don't want to "give up", hope for a miracle cure etc.....anyway thanks for the link!
  • Jeanne, I can think of two things that might help you get started:

1) Put the word out there to as many people as you can that you need this information. I'll begin here. Is there anybody in the Rancho Cordova, CA area who can help Jeanne find a veterinarian/student interested in hospice care at home for animals? Please respond as soon as possible if you can help. Timing is very important.

2) Contact the Colorado State University Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine that I mention in the discussion. They might know some procedures you can do at home. They may be able to recommend resource persons in your area. See their information below:

Contacting the Pet Hospice Program

Pet Hospice phone number:

Monday through Friday (8:00am to 5:00pm)
    970-219-7335
    E-mail Pet Hospice: pethosp@colostate.edu

The Argus Institute
    James L. Voss Veterinary Medical Center
    Colorado State University
    300 W. Drake Road
    Fort Collins, CO 80523
    970-297-4143

James L. Voss Veterinary Medical Center
    Colorado State University
    300 W. Drake Road
    Fort Collins, CO 80523
    970-221-4535

Jeanne, I hope this helps. Let me know if you get some help. I wish you the best.

Frances Shani Parker
  • Hospice for pets is a wonderful idea, however how is it implemented? I have been looking into it but have not found a veterinarian who is interested. As with humans it is difficult to have some veterinarians on board to assist with keeping an animal comfortable in their own home.
  • Terri, that's a good point that I hadn't thought about. Yes, some people probably would find caregiving an animal less threatening than caregiving a person. By the way, that's a great picture of you and your little dog.
  • I think it is a good idea. Some people view their pets are their children and are extremely close to them. Also, there are those who would be much more comfortable comforting an animal who was terminally ill than they would a person. It would perhaps help them to grasp a good understanding about hospice care because it makes it not so close to home sometimes.
This reply was deleted.

CATEGORIES

CAREGIVERS STORE

by Rashani Rea & Kathy Douglas

Those who companion suffering daily, such as hospice nurses and volunteers, will surely appreciate this beautiful work. With 62 original art collages by Rashani Réa, five beautiful chapters by Kathy Douglas, and a foreword by Jean Watson, this exquisite book is a peaceful refuge for contemplation, inquiry, reflection and inspiration for those who traverse the joys and sorrows of nursing.

Kathy Douglas, RN, MPH-HA is a nationally recognized nurse leader, filmmaker and entrepreneur. 

Rashani Réa is a prolific artist and musician, a creatrice of sanctuaries and a respected spiritual mentor.

“This is a beloved book and beyond a book. It is an evocative, poetic, ecstatic, and inspirited sacred, experiential calling. A calling to you--YES, YOU.” 

— Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Living Legend (AAN)

“Those who companion suffering daily need to turn inward to metabolize what they have witnessed. This exquisite book, filled with beautiful images and poetic wise words, is the inspiration and support needed to grow a wise heart.” 

— Frank Ostaseski, founder and director of the Metta Institute and author of The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully

“In this unique time of the COVID-19 pandemic, this book should be considered a tribute to the tremendous courage being displayed by nurses around the world. There is much wisdom conveyed throughout by those who have been there serving others with such grace.” 

Greg Schneider President, HVA, co-author of The Changing Face of Hospice Volunteering in Hospice and Palliative Care 

Buy Now